Frequently Asked ETIAS Questions

Will all Canadian citizens need an ETIAS visa waiver to travel to Italy?

Yes, all Canadian citizens will be required to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver once the new travel authorization program becomes mandatory in 2025. The new ETIAS visa waiver will replace the current visa-free system for all short-term travel throughout the Schengen zone beginning in 2025. There will be an initial grace period of at least six months to help both international travelers and border officials alike adjust to the new policies and procedures. However, it will be best for travelers to go ahead and fill out the online ETIAS application form before their departure for Europe when the new travel authorization system goes live in 2025. The application will include both ETIAS questions for background checks and personal data entry. Ideally, travelers should complete their online ETIAS applications at least 96 hours (four days) before departure. Doing so will allow plenty of time for the application to get processed and provide the opportunity to resolve any issues that may arise during the approval process.

How do I apply for an ETIAS visa waiver for travelling to Italy from Canada?

The ETIAS online application will be available for all eligible travelers in 2025. All Canadian citizens must submit an online application through the ETIAS website prior to their departure for Italy or any other country in the Schengen area. In the majority of cases, it should take about 10 minutes or less to complete the application process. Applicants will be required to submit their basic personal information, provide their contact details, and specify a series of security ETIAS questions to create their account. The only document required for applying for ETIAS is the valid, biometric passport.

Do I need a passport to apply for ETIAS?

Yes. Once the ETIAS electronic visa system becomes mandatory in 2025, it will be necessary for all international travelers to have a valid biometric passport when they apply for an ETIAS travel authorization. All passports must be biometric and machine-readable. Your passport must also remain valid for at least three months from the traveler’s intended arrival date.This is the case for all Canadian citizens well as those from the 59 other countries eligible for ETIAS. You will also need to respond to several ETIAS questions during the application procedure. Please refer to our home page for a complete list of countries eligible for the new ETIAS visa waiver program.

How much does it cost to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver?

The ETIAS application fee will be €7 for all applicants over the age of 18. There is no cost for minors under 18 years old when applying for an ETIAS travel authorization. The application fee must be paid online using a valid debit or credit card when you apply for your ETIAS visa waiver. If the transaction is unsuccessful, your ETIAS application will get placed on hold until successful payment of the application fee has been confirmed.

When will the new ETIAS visa waiver system go live?

The new ETIAS visa waiver program will become mandatory as of 2025 and will replace the current border control system for countries in the Schengen zone of Europe. There will be an initial grace period of six months, or more if needed, to help minimize any potential disruptions as both international travelers and border agents alike get accustomed to the new travel policies and procedures. Still, the online ETIAS application process is quite simple. Applicants will need to have a non-expired biometric passport, access to a stable internet connection, a valid email address to receive notification of approval or rejection of their application, and sufficient funds to pay the ETIAS application fee. The ETIAS mobile app will be compatible with Android and Apple devices, making it possible to complete the application process on a smartphone or tablet, as well.

Do children and minors need to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver?

Yes. The new ETIAS requirements are the same for children and minors traveling from Canada to Italy and all other Schengen countries. All travelers from the 60 countries eligible for ETIAS travel authorization, including children, must have a valid ETIAS visa waiver in order to enter any country in the European Schengen zone from the time the new program launches in 2025 and for all international arrivals thereafter. A parent or a legal guardian will need to complete the online ETIAS application for children and minors. Please check our homepage for the complete list of all ETIAS eligible countries.

Can I work or study in Italy with an ETIAS travel authorization?

No. The ETIAS does not allow foreign citizens to work or study during their time in Italy or any other country in the Schengen zone. It is one of the most confusing ETIAS questions and a lot of people mix visa waiver with visa. The ETIAS visa waiver is an electronic travel authorization that covers citizens from 60 eligible countries for transit, tourism activities, and business travel during a period of up to 90 days in a single 180-day period. If you wish to work or study while you are in an ETIAS country, you must apply for a standard work or study visa through the appropriate consulate.

Can I still apply for an ETIAS visa waiver if I have a criminal record?

All international travelers from the list of 60 eligible countries must submit an ETIAS application online prior to entering any country in the Schengen area of Europe. The process may be somewhat different for applicants who have a criminal record than for those without a prior criminal conviction. This includes any minor criminal offenses like disorderly conduct, driving under the influence (DUI), loitering, shoplifting, trespassing, etc. However, it is not yet clear whether or not the new ETIAS travel authorization program will be available for international travelers who have a criminal record. Please contact our customer service department for more information.

I am a citizen of an ETIAS country. Do I need to apply for an ETIAS travel authorization?

No. Citizens of ETIAS countries are not required to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver since they would either be entering their own country or another ETIAS member country. For example, if you are a German citizen traveling to Italy, you would not be required to apply for ETIAS since both of them are ETIAS countries. However, if you are traveling with an American, Australian, British, or Canadian passport, or you are a citizen of any of the other countries that qualify for the ETIAS visa waiver program, then you will need to apply for an ETIAS travel authorization at least 96 hours (four days) before your intended departure date. Please refer to our homepage for a full list of the 60 countries that qualify for the new ETIAS visa waiver, as well as for a list of all 26 countries in the Schengen area of Europe. It’s essential to keep in mind that the Schengen zone is not the same as the European Union, and not all EU member countries participate in the Schengen Agreement. Likewise, not all Schengen countries are part of the European Union.

I have citizenship in more than one country. What citizenship should I enter when I fill out my ETIAS application form?

The answer to this question depends on what your nationalities are. If you happen to be a dual citizen of an ETIAS country and another country, such as France and Canada for example, then you would not need to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver for the same reasons as were stated in the previous question. You should enter Europe using your French passport. In contrast, suppose you are a dual citizen of two non-ETIAS countries. As long as at least one of them is eligible for ETIAS, you can apply for the ETIAS visa waiver using the passport of the eligible country. For example, a dual citizen of the United States and Thailand should apply for their ETIAS visa waiver under their American passport. In order to enter a Schengen country with a Thai passport, they would need to apply for a Schengen Visa instead of an ETIAS travel authorization.Please contact one of the experts on our customer service team if you have any further questions on this matter.

Will I need the ETIAS to travel from Canada to Italy?

As soon as the new ETIAS travel authorization program becomes mandatory in 2025, Canadian citizens will need to get pre-approved for travel by completing the online ETIAS application before departing from Canada and arriving in Italy or any other country in the Schengen area. The application is entirely online, so it is possible for foreign nationals to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver from outside of their home countries.

What are the main ETIAS questions?

ETIAS questions are mainly about applicant’s personal information, their past travel history, criminal records, relatives and several security topics. For example, one of the main ETIAS questions is whether the applicant has been participating in any terrorist activities in the past, has been subject to drug abuse, was deported from Europe in the past or has breached any travel regulations before. Furthermore, the application may ask for travel purpose, approximate itinerary or travel destination.

Get Notified When ETIAS Italy Becomes Mandatory!