Top 10 Most Beautiful Places in Italy
Here are our top 10 places to visit in Italy for Canadians, hoping our fellow nationals grasp the sheer amount of beauty and diversity that makes up the Mediterranean country.
- Amalfi Coast
- Cinque Terre
- Lake Como
Venice is one of the most well-known and one of the most beautiful cities in Italy. known for its architectural beauty and position in a lagoon, hence the nickname “City of Water” and Serenissima (The Most Serene).
This city is surrounded by 118 small islands. There are no highways, and people go around by boat or walking. The Grand Canal is the largest of the city waterways, with palaces dating back to the Renaissance and Gothic periods lining the channel.
Piazza San Marco is one of the most beautiful places in Italy. It is located at the end of the Grand Canal. Here, visitors can marvel at even more fantastic architecture. It is easy to lose yourself in Venice, wandering through cobblestone streets and admiring the art. You can also find cafes to have a drink at.
Top facts about one of the most beautiful places in Italy
- Venice is Best known for Architecture and art, as well as seafood.
- Top 5 Things to Do in Venice: Take a gondola and explore Piazza San Marco. Eat like a local. You can also shop for Venetian glass in Murano. It is truly one of the most beautiful places in Italy.
- How much time do I need to see Venice?2 to 3 days.
- Fly to Venice direct from Montreal, or Toronto
Florence is the city that almost incarnates Italian-ness. It is one of the most beautiful places in Tuscany, Italy. Florentine dialect is the basis of the Italian language, and it’s where figures such as Dante, Michelangelo, and Lorenzo de Medici were born and became famous. It is also one of the most beautiful places in Italy and an absolute must-see.
Florence is a small city that encompasses all of Italy’s best features. It has a lot to offer: art everywhere, beautiful Renaissance architecture, high-quality local food and wine, and boutique shopping, where many of the first designers opened their shops. You can spend days admiring the famed works of art like Michelangelo’s statue of David or walking through the Duomo while sipping fine Tuscan wines.
- Florence is Ideal for: Art and architecture, food, wine, and shopping.
- Where is Florence? It is actually in the center of Italy. You can fly from Rome in 55 minutes or take a train from Milan in 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to Florence. So it is pretty easy to reach, and you will probably pass through the city when you visit Italy.
- Top 5 Things to Do in Florence: Take in the views from Piazzale Michelangelo and the Bell Tower. Also, visit the Uffizi Gallery, where you can admire the art and learn more about leather making. Marvel at some of the other most beautiful places in Italy.
- How much time do I need to see Florence?1 – 2 days.
- Recommend: Explore Florence with a walking tour. Get a super-saver pass with an entrance to two of Florence’s most famous galleries and a guided visit to the city’s top attractions.
Rome is the capital of Italy and a must-see on any trip to the country. A lot of people consider it to be one of the most beautiful places in Italy to live. The city has over 3,000 years of history, including ruins, art, and architecture.
Rome is a sprawling, romantic city: it will transport you back to the Roman Empire with its majestic ruins and incredible treasures. It also houses the Vatican City, an independent state operated by the Catholic Church and its head, the Pope.
Must-know information about one of the most beautiful cities in Italy
- Rome is Best Known for its history, architecture, food, and drinks. Rome is one of the main reasons why people visit Italy. So it is a pretty popular destination for a lot of tourists.
- Where is Rome Located?Rome can be reached by flying to Milan (in 15 minutes), Florence (in 50 minutes), or Naples (in 50 minutes). You can also travel by train from Milan (3 hours 20 minutes), Florence (1 hour 20 minutes), Venice (3hrs 40 minutes), and Naples (1h 10 minutes).
- Top 5 Things to Do in Rome: Visit the Colosseum and Roman Forum, make a wish at The Trevi Fountain, and see the ruins at Colosseum, Roman Forum, and the Roman Forum. Go to the Pantheon and visit Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel. You can also eat gelato (and other delicious food) and get your fill.
- How much time do I need to see Rome?4-5 Days.
- Fly to Rome directly from Montreal, or Toronto
Milan is a city you will want to look great in, even if you are walking its streets where Napoleon and Caesar once ruled. It is a financial center, but it is also known for its fashion, shopping, and restaurants.
Milan is a large city that offers a sophisticated lifestyle through its cuisine, art, and culture. It is one of the best places to see in Italy for sports fans looking for other types of activities. It is also one of the most beautiful places in northern Italy.
- Milan is ideal for city enthusiasts, art, food, and fashion.
- Where is Milan located?Milan is located in northern Italy. It can be reached by train or rail from Rome, Florence, and Venice. Non-stop flights are available from Rome (1h 15 mins) and Naples (1h 25 minutes).
- Top 5 Things to Do in Milan: Visit the Milan Cathedral (Duomo), and see the Last Supper up-close. Also, make sure you stop by Castello Sforzesco. Take in the architecture at the Monumental Cemetery. And, finally, a window shop at Galleria Vittorio Emanuele.
- How much time do I need to see Milan?2-3 days.
- Fly to Milan directly from Toronto
This spot is one of the lesser-known tourist attractions in Italy compared to others on this list, but still, it is one of the most beautiful places to see in Italy.
It stretches 50km along the Sorrentine Peninsula. It’s a Mediterranean paradise home to steep cliffs that plunge into the sea and beaches where sunbathers congregate. These colorful fishing villages make for incredible photoshoots. It is also one of the best places to visit in Italy for photographers.
If you’re looking for something more active, the holiday spot offers some of the best hiking trails in the country and top-rated hotels and restaurants.
- Amalfi Coast is Ideal for Beach-lovers, hikers, and chefs.
- Where is the Amalfi Coast? You can reach it by train from Rome, Florence, and Naples in 3.5 hours, 5 hours and 15 minutes, and 2 hours and 50 minutes, respectively. You can also fly from Rome, Florence, and Venice to Naples Airport in 50 minutes, 50 minutes, and 10 minutes, respectively.
- Top 5 Things to Do on Amalfi Coast:Take a cruise along the turquoise waters, Visit Capri Island and hike the coastal trails. Also, spend some time at Positano.
- How much time do I need to see Amalfi Coast?2-3 Days.
- Recommendation for people visiting Amalfi Coast:Take the Amalfi Coast Tour from Sorrento to enjoy the beautiful architecture and relax in the peaceful atmosphere.
Pompeii is one of the most historic cities in Europe. It will transport you back to 79AD when Mount Vesuvius destroyed the once-thriving Roman city.
Visitors can now explore this well-preserved site and see the remnants of the volcanic eruption. Pompeii is an archeological site covering the fully-preserved town, where you can see streets, buildings, and even human remains. It is considered to be one of the top 10 most beautiful places in Italy.
Additional information about one of the must-see places in central Italy
- Pompeii is best known for its history.
- Where is Pompeii located? Pompeii can be found in southern Italy. It is 45 minutes away by train from Naples. You can also book day trips from Naples to Rome or Sorrento.
- Top 5 Things to Do in Pompeii:See the brothel and the forum baths. Take in the frescos at the Villa of the Mysteries. Walk through the Forum. And see the garden of the fugitives.
- How much time do I need to see Pompeii?One day.
- The recommended tour for Pompeii is:Explore Pompeii with a full-day tour. You can visit the ruins and learn more about the eruption and the history of Pompeii.
Cinque Terre (One of my favorite, most beautiful places in Italy)
Cinque Terre, one of the most beautiful places in Italy, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is a collection of five villages on the Italian Riviera coast.
The coastline plunges into the sea with colorful towns that serve fresh seafood on terraces overlooking the water filled with fishing boats. You can take a train between the towns via tunnels or hike between them.
- Cinque Terre is Best known for Scenic Sites, Hiking, and Seafood.
- Where is Cinque Terre?Cinque Terre can be reached by train from Florence, 2.5 hours away. The Pisa International Airport is the closest. It takes 1.5 hours to get from Cinque Terre to this airport.
- Top 5 Things to Do in Cinque Terre: Walk Manarola’s nature trail, visit the Cinque Terre National Park and Take a boat tour. Also, you can see the Church of San Francesco. You can also take a cooking class.
- How much time do I need to see Cinque Terre?3 to 5 days.
- Recommend tour in Cinque Terre: Join a Cinque Terre Train Tour with a local guide to learn more about the history of each town, enjoy the beautiful scenery, and much more. It is truly one of the most beautiful places in Italy.
Sicily has stunning landscapes and the most beautiful sea views, which wash the largest island in the Mediterranean. It is one of the most beautiful places in Italy by the sea.
Active travelers looking to hike can enjoy Mount Etna, Europe’s tallest active volcano. This island is full of beautiful beaches and flowery meadows. You can also enjoy the Mediterranean cuisine and the historical Greek sites.
It is important to note that you will need additional travel documents if you intend to visit Italy in the future. Travelers from Canada and those from the 59 other visa-exempt countries will need to submit an electronic ETIAS application before traveling to any country in the Schengen zone. So be prepared beforehand. These new regulations will be enacted in 2023.
- Sicily is Ideal for Scenic Sites, Active Travellers, Beaches, and Food
- Where is Sicily? Sicily lies off the tip of Italy’s southern boot. The quickest way to reach Sicily is flying from Rome, Florence, Milan, Milan, and Naples.
- Top 5 Things to Do in Sicily:Ski down and hike up Mount Etna; visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site Valley of the Temples; see the mosaics at Villa Romana del Casale; eat local street food, and visit some of Italy’s most beautiful beaches, such as Mondello Lido.
- How much time do I need to See Sicily?Between 5 to 6 days.
- Recommended tour in Sicily –Sicily can’t be seen in one day, so the Treasures of Sicily Tour will take you to Mount Etna and show you how to taste wine. It also takes you to the most important cities and sights of Sicily.
It is impossible to visit Italy without stopping by the birthplace of pizza. It’s not just a delight for the tastebuds, though. Naples is also one of Italy’s biggest cities. Also, it is home to a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
This essential Italian city is home to many beautiful buildings and palaces, making it one of the most beautiful places in Italy.
- Naples is Best known for Architecture and, art, food.
- Where is Naples located?Naples can be reached by train from Rome (in about an hour), Florence (3 hours), or Milan (in about 4.5 hours). Fly direct from Rome, Milan, and Venice in 50 minutes.
- Top 5 Things to Do in Naples:Go to Capri and eat pizza till you’re unable to walk. Visit the Ruins of Herculaneum. Check out the artful metro of Naples.
- How much time do I need to See Naples?2-3 days.
- Recommend tour in Naples:Explore the best of Naples with a Naples Street Food and Tour. Enjoy the delicious cuisines and historical sights of Naples.
Tuscany is an area in Italy that you should not miss. Florence is the capital of Tuscany, but it’s not the only highlight. You should also spend time exploring the countryside and driving through the fertile areas that make this region the culinary capital of Italy.
This region is postcard-perfect with its green hills and vineyards, as well as the medieval towns on the hilltops.
- Tuscany is Best Known for Food, drinks, and scenic spots.
- Where is Tuscany Located? The central hub of Tuscany is located in northern Italy, in Florence. From there, you can explore other regions. Flying from Rome takes 55 minutes, while Milan takes 1 hour and Venice takes 2 hours and 15 min.
- Top 5 Things to Do in Tuscany:Take a photo at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Eat your way through the region. Visit Siena. Make a pilgrimage up to La Verna.
- How much time do I need to see Tuscany?5 Days – 1 Week (including Florence).
- Recommend tour in Tuscany:There is a Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour that takes you through stunning Tuscany, to Pisa, to Siena, and to a wine estate to have lunch.
Lake Como is the ideal holiday destination for those who love stunning landscapes and luxurious resorts. Como, the largest lake in the region, is shaped like the letter “Y.” The alps provide a beautiful backdrop to the surrounding areas filled with Renaissance architecture and art.
Since it is a holiday destination, knowing what time of the year is the best for visiting Lake Como is essential. If you want to get the most out of your traveling experience in this one of the most beautiful places in Italy, you should visit it in Summer. Naturally, Summer will be the most expensive time to visit Italy, but it is worth every dollar.
- Lake Como is Best Known for: Scenic sites.
- Where is Lake Como Located?Lake Como can be found in the north of Italy. It is easily accessible from Milan (a 2.5-hour drive).
- Top 5 Things to Do Near Lake Como:Explore Bellagio’s streets, visit Villa Melzi and Villa Carlotta and take a boat ride across the lake. Take a cooking class or a food tour.
- How much time do I need to see Lake Como?2 to 4 days.
- Recommendation While Visiting Lake Como:See a villa, enjoy food tastings, and then boat your way around Lake Como, stopping at the towns of Bellagio & Varenna. There is a Lake Como Walking & Boating Full-Day Tour.
From which cities can I fly directly to Italy from Canada?
Book a flight to these cities if you plan a trip to the above destinations.
From Montreal to:
- Rome with Air Canada
- Venice with Air Canada Rouge
- Rome and Venice with Air Transat
From Toronto to:
- Milan and Rome with Air Canada
- Venice with Air Canada Rouge
- Lamezia Terme, Rome, and Venice with Air Transat
- Rome with Volotea
What is the prettiest place in Italy?
Dorsoduro, Venice. Hidden behind the Chiesa Santa Maria Della Salute is the cultural center of Dorsoduro. It offers a glimpse of Venice but the experience of living in the city’s heart. The streets are quiet and lend themselves to arty people, giving them a relaxed charm. Before settling down at Ca Maria Adele, visit the Gallerie d’Accademia or the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. These are some of the most beautiful places in Italy.
Which part of Italy is best to visit?
Tuscany. Florence is always a top pick for the most beautiful places in Italy. It has everything, from famous museums to stunning architecture. It is home to the Duomo and Piazza Della Signoria, renowned museums, historic markets, and stunning gardens.
What is the most visited place in Italy?
The Colosseum, Rome. This ancient landmark is a must-see on any traveler’s list. It holds a tremendous amount of significance to the City of Rome. Colosseum was once used as an amphitheater to host ancient games such as gladiator flights, public education, and other Roman activities. It is one of the most beautiful places in Italy. Empire Titus Flavius Vespasianus constructed it in 72 AD. He gave it to the Romans as a gift. It is massive and must be seen in person.
What are the four tourist attractions in Italy?
Colosseum, Florence Duomo Santa Maria del Fiore, The Grand Canal in Venice, and Leaning Tower of Pisa. These four are considered must-see and the most beautiful places in Italy.